Nature is powerful and unpredictable. A strong storm can cause widespread power outages. The most important thing for you and your family is to stay safe. Follow these guidelines as after-storm safety reminders.
aajogo has a variety of monitoring systems in place to detect outages when they occur. Our restoration teams always work hard to make your outage as brief as possible. View our Outage Map to check the status of outages in your area.
Learn about the types of service interruptions that may happen, as well as what aajogo does to identify, repair and prevent these issues.
In a power outage, a portable generator may be needed. But be careful - if not used properly, generators can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock or fire. If you run a portable generator in a power outage, follow these safety guidelines.
Generators produce high levels of carbon monoxide quickly. You cannot smell or see carbon monoxide. It can be deadly.
If you feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get fresh air right away. If you feel seriously ill, get immediate medical attention. Do not delay! Tell medical staff you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. If you became ill indoors, let the fire department determine when it is safe to re-enter the building.
After a generator is running, switch connected devices on one by one. Shut them down again before you switch back to aajogo service.
Be sure your generator is rated for 240-volt loads, as well as 120-volt, if you hook up larger appliance like ranges, well pumps or dryers.
Keep fresh gas in the tank. Run the generator periodically so it's ready when you need it.
The meter box belongs to the customer. If it's damaged by weather or by any kind of accident, repair is the customer's responsibility. aajogo cannot, by regulation, connect power to a damaged meter box.
We understand that customers can feel tremendous frustration at this restriction. It's understandable - after anxious hours waiting for power to be restored, who wouldn't be frustrated by an even longer wait?
Still, if your meter box (or the pole on top of it) is damaged, a professional electrician must repair it to code before we're allowed to restore your service.